For this assignment, you will need to plan ahead. During these last 4 weeks of the semester, you must watch a live symphony orchestra concert, opera, musical with live music accompanying, jazz big band, jazz combo, or chamber ensemble with at least three performers in order to complete it. At the bottom of this assignment you will find a list of suggested concerts.
– Alternative Formats
You will need to have paper and pen to take notes. Some students find it helpful to make a chart beforehand of the musical elements and write comments in each category about each piece on the program throughout the concert. Have fun!
Need Help Writing Your Essay?
Tell us about your assignment and we will find the best writer for your projectGet Help Now!
- Write the equivalent of a 2-3 page report giving a review of the concert you attended. Your review must include the following:
- What kind of listener were you at the concert? Why?
- What pieces were performed?
- What was the style of each of the pieces performed?
- What was the instrumentation of the ensemble?
- Draw out and upload the seating arrangement of the instruments in the ensemble.
- Analyze 3-4 pieces played during the concert using the following criteria from the course:
- Unity and Variety
- Structure of the Music
- Purpose of the Music
- Historical Period
- View the sample of a well-written concert report sample of a well-written concert report – Alternative Formats .
- Use Microsoft Word to type your report. Save as .docx, .rtf, or .pdf format.
- Run a spell check/grammar check (under the “Review” menu in Word). Correct grammar and spelling will be part of your grade.
- Copy and paste your proof-read assignment into the Assignment Drop Box (not the “Comments” Box.)
All written assignments will run through SafeAssign, Blackboard’s plagiarism checking tool. Be sure to paraphrase appropriately.
See the Rubric for how your grade will be determined.
See Calendar for due date.
Need help with Blackboard? Review the Submitting Assignments video.
Choose one of the concerts below
Detroit Symphony, Berlioz, Symphony Fantastique
Chicago Symphony, Beethoven 9th Symphony
London Symphony, Stravinsky, Rite of Spring (Rite of Spring program notes)
Boston Symphony Orchestra, Tchaikovsky Symphony #5 Leonard Bernstein conducting
Helene Grimaud, Brahms piano concerto No.1
Tchaikovsky serenade for strings, Concertgebouw chamber orchestra
Vivaldi Four Seasons, Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter
Acappela chamber choir concert. VOCES8
J.S. Bach, German Brass Concert
Woodwind Ensemble, Windsync Chamber Music Concert
Jazz at Lincoln Center
Al Jarreau, Jazz vocalist, live concert
Nina Simone, Jazz vocalist, live concert
Keith Jarrett, Standard trio, live concert
Ask your questions to our best tutors for quality and timely answers whenever you need. Learn fast and seek help from our solution library that grooms your concepts with over 500 courses. When you place an order with us, be sure that the content will be authentic and free from plagiarism. Moreover, we do make sure that the content is research-based!
From essays to dissertations, we have writing experts for all your assignment needs!